Thursday, April 5, 2007

The political bickering is finally done

As of 5:00pm on Thursday, the USCIS, the US embassy, and the Vietnam Ministry finally reached agreement on the documentation needed for a child abandoned before March 1, 2007 to prove that they were abandoned and legally available for adoption. Luckily we have been providing them with 3 docs each day and they have all the documents they need to process Liana's case. My new friend Greg at the Embassy, personally called me to tell me I will get my appointment on Friday or Monday but will not get the visa issued until the next business day (meaning Monday or Tuesday). I think he was just tired of talking to me so many times, though he did sound like he felt bad about the situation.

I am checking into flights next week, but plan to ask very nicely if there is any way they can issue the visa same day so I can make my flights home. Since this is highly unlikely I have tenatively planned a day trip to Halong Bay. I also have an invite for a day at the Spa with another mommy in waiting as well as an invite to a baby play date with a group of mommys from Los Ninos Agency that are stuck here for possibly week 5. Yes, even in Vietnam I can be a social butterfly- now that I am not depressed thinking my baby would be stuck in the political red tape forever.

2 comments:

Kerry D-C said...

Oh Linda! too funny! I am glad that you are maintaining your social status through all of this! ;)

Mostly, I am so happy that you have an end in site. That is the hardest part: not knowing.

I am so happy for you and Liana!

((((hugs))))
Kerry

Jenny said...

Hey---PLAN family here and found your blog through the yahoo group. I wanted to let you know, they can't issue visas same day. They have to be processed through kentucky overnight. Seriously, kentucky! (we know this because we have big problems getting visas for our twins with the same names.)

We were in Vietnam over Christmas and I have enjoyed seeing your baby girl. She looks like one of my twins, who are also from ba vi.

Safe travels and congratulations!